|Made from||Pasteurized cow milk|
|Country of origin||USA|
|Texture||Varies with maturation time from soft and creamy to hard. There may be holes in Dry Jack cheese|
|Producers||Various, including Vella cheese company|
Dry Jack is a drier version of the American Monterey Jack cheese. It appeared by chance at the beginning of the 20th century, when the wholesaler couldn’t sell too much fresh Monterey Jack, and it lay in the cart until the 1st World War. During the First World War, the supply of the products from Europe stopped, and the seller remembered his dairy product. Dry Jack turned out to be a delicious hard product, similar to Parmesan, and was liked by customers. So, cheese making has become popular.
Taste and Calorie
The product has a nice pale yellow color. The texture varies depending on the degree of exposure. Mature Dry Jack is hard and used as an alternative to Parmesan. It melts easily and resembles Cheddar in properties.
As for Cheese ages Dry Jack, the maturation period is from 6 months to 4 years. The longer is its maturation period, the more interesting and richer its taste is. The young product has a delicate soft creamy taste, while the mature version has a rich aroma and a more pronounced aftertaste.
The fat content is 74.6%, with a calorie content of 373 kcal per 100 grams, which is why it is not suitable for too frequent daily use.
The product is covered with fat or black wax at the last cooking stage to create a crust, but it is not important. It has a mild creamy taste with a sweet nutty flavor. It is very nice for grating, and you don’t even need Icebox storage.
Benefits of Dry Jack Cheese
An aged dairy product contains not only proteins and carbohydrates but also trace elements necessary for the healthy development of the body:
- Calcium helps strengthen teeth and bones, improves blood clotting, and helps stabilize the heart;
- Phosphorus has a positive effect on the condition of the kidneys, helps accelerate metabolism, is involved in the regulation of acid-base balance;
- Zinc is one of the most important elements in the process of muscle development and the formation of the immune system;
- Sodium is involved in gastric juice production and contributes to the normalization of water-salt balance;
- It consists of animal fats, which are essential components in the diet for the correct functioning of the immune system. However, this type of product shouldn’t be consumed frequently or in large quantities due to its calorie content;
- It is worth noting that it is one of the products recommended by doctors if you are suffering from a migraine. It contains a large amount of tyramine, an organic substance that promotes vasoconstriction and increased blood pressure.
Contraindications for Use
Lactose intolerant or allergic to milk protein, people should refrain from eating it. People with hypertension should also be careful as the tyramine contained in this product increases blood pressure. Patients with gastritis, hyperacidity and other problems with the digestive system also shouldn’t eat it too much.
Both children and adults without serious diseases should limit the use of this variety due to its high-fat content.
What Is Dry Jack Cheese?
First of all, it is a hard cheese. Its taste seems strange during the first tasting, and it doesn’t smell very attractive. The structure is dense and hard. But anyone who decides to try it one more time will appreciate its outstanding advantages, and it has a lot of them.
Where to Buy Dry Jack Cheese?
You can buy Dry Jack cheese in every grocery store as it is one of the most popular cheeses consumed by people worldwide. If you want to get the best version of it, then amazon.com and similar sites will always help you find what you need from the cheese factory.
What Cheese Is Best Substitute for Dry Jack Cheese?
As for the structure of Dry Jack, hard cheese is comparable to Parmesan. Over a long aging time, it acquires a persistent nutty flavor and crumbly texture.